Reducing your waste in a convenience-driven world is definitely not an easy feat, and when we are forced to improvise outside our routines, we can often feel confused and/or helpless. When I initially made plans to go plastic free I decided that the only way to continue it at work was to bring my lunch in a reusable container, with reusable cutlery etc.
However, inevitably there came a day where I was in a rush and hadn't prepared any food to take with me to work. When it got to lunch I was honestly lost - to the point where I considered not eating in the hopes of saving the plastic I was sure I was going to have to purchase. It just seemed such a hypocritical act, especially for me, someone who preaches environmental sustainability!
So this guide is for those of you in your early plastic-reducing days.
The Classic Salad Roll:
For a quick & filling lunch here is what you need to do:
- Go to the bakery & get your favourite roll in a paper bag
- Go to a grocery store/supermarket and get 1x tomato, a small avocado and a crunchy veg (carrots/cucumber etc)
- return to your office and assemble the roll
- eat knowing you're practically from the earth now.
Sushi/ Rice Paper Rolls
when you want it to go, heres what you need to do:
- go to a sushi shop
- select sushi (preferably vego)
- ask for your sushi/ rice paper rolls in a paper a bag or pop them in a napkin.
For places who will make or pack the salads as you like (not the pre-packed salads) you can bring along a container & request them to pop it in there as well. More often than not they're really great about it, particularly if they're about local/sustainable food.
Sweet Potato & nourish bowl
Look, not going to lie this title probably over-sells this meal when in reality it is quite simple. As long as you have a microwave at your workplace and there isn't a huge queue of people waiting to heat up their lunch, you'll be in for a super satisfying and nutrient packed meal.
Here is what you've got to do:
- Go to the fruit & veg shop
- Buy a sweet potato, head of broccoli, avocado & a jar of salsa or healthy pesto (just make sure it's in a jar not in plastic)
- Stab some holes in your sweet potato with a knife
- Cook in the microwave for 5-8 minutes depending on the size.
- Chop the broccoli & add in with the sweet potato
- Microwave both for another 2 mins
- In the meantime mash the avocado
- Once the veggies have been cooked, whack on some avo + salsa & you're good to go with your Masterchef meal.